- Dit evenement is voorbij.
Urban Dialogue #9: Pathways towards a Wellbeing Economy in European cities
oktober 26, 2021 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
26 October 17:00-18:00 | Online event
The panel session will be hosted by the Centre for Urban Studies, on the 26th of October from 16.00-17.00. We aim to bring together researchers, practitioners and policymakers from across European cities to exchange knowledge and experiences on redirecting the urban economy towards wellbeing, instead of GDP growth.
|Date||26 October 2021|
The need for a new economic narrative that ultimately serves us – the people – is no longer implicit. Researchers, civil society groups and (inter)governmental organizations, such as the OECD and the Council of the European Union, embrace the idea that we need to move beyond GDP growth, towards an economy that places the inclusive and sustainable improvement of citizen’s wellbeing at its heart. This implies also different ways of working in urban governance that demand more citizen-centered decision-making and bottom-up, co-creative approaches.
Together we want to inspire and cross-fertilise initiatives taken across cities and share knowledge on implementing a wellbeing economy approach that includes the design of new policy instruments and methods. For instance, our research in Amsterdam aims to develop a ‘Community Wellbeing Dashboard’ for specific neighbourhoods in co-creation with the neighbourhood residents. Such a Dashboard will display people’s wellbeing within multiple dimensions, and the interaction between these dimensions, to inform economic policy accordingly.
The panel debate and interactive discussion with the participants will be centered around a few guiding questions on the key challenges and new directions for innovative solutions. For example, what can we, as policymakers, researchers, and practitioners, and as active agents of change, do to create a Wellbeing Economy?
- Dr Katherine Trebeck (Co-founder & Senior Strategic Advisor for the Wellbeing Economy Alliance)
- Frans Bieckmann (Strategic Advisor for the City of Amsterdam & Director of Fearless City Amsterdam)
- Eveline Kokx-van Aalsburg (Strategic Policy Advisor at the Municipality of The Hague)
- Michael Birkjær (Senior Analyst at The Happiness Research Institute Copenhagen)
- Tobias Daur (Common Goods Economy [Gemeinwohl-Ökonomie] Consultant)
- Dr Nicky Pouw (Associate Professor of Economics of Wellbeing at the University of Amsterdam)
The session targets people involved in urban governance and is open to the public. If you would like to attend the session, please send an email including your name and affiliation to email@example.com to receive the Zoom link.
This event is part of the Seed Grant project “Wellbeing in Amsterdam”